Saturday, July 26, 2008

Walking Through Shadows

I have been so busy traveling and doing some reading in the meantime that I haven't had the chance to keep up on my blogging as I've done in the past. So here goes nothin'.

I finished Walking Through Shadows by Bev Marshall last week. This book was another random find when I perused the shelves at the library.

It's a book about a young woman who is hired out to help on a dairy farm several miles from her home. The farmer and his wife decide to hire her because they hear her father beats her. She has a hump on her back and is small for her age. She falls in love and gets married. The book starts out with her murder. It continues with a variety of characters telling the story. There are several suspects and it was fun trying to play Sherlock and wonder who did it. I assumed I had it all figured out...then I changed my assumption...and originally I had it right!

I loved the way the author had multiple people tell the story from their perspectives, getting into their heads, knowing why they did what they did and what they were thinking at the time. She did an excellent job of meshing the events together, regardless of who told what.

The book was darker than I would have liked - more violent than I was expecting. I had a hard time reading certain parts of it. I did like it though.

My overall rating is cows (as the main scene was a dairy farm).

No comments: