Friday, June 13, 2008

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

My friend 'Muppet' suggested this book to me - it's one of his favorites. As he is well-read, I was eager to accept the invitation to read it and love it. I'm currently half-way through the book and this is what I notice:

  • There are no chapters to divide up the story - how am I supposed to choose a stopping point when I read late into the night?
  • None of the characters have names. The dad is "the man" and the son is referred to as "the boy". I can live with that. Typically I understand who is what.
  • The author neglects to use punctuation like we learn in school - things like apostrophes and quotation marks when someone speaks. Now and again I have to re-read something to know who is speaking, the man or the boy.
  • Every so often the book slips into first-person; I believe this is because it is a flashback, though I can't be entirely certain. Maybe when I finish I'll have a better idea.
Now, lest you think I don't like the book, I must interject with my original opinion. The book is about a father and son wandering through burned America with nothing but a pistol and a cart of their belongings and a bit of food. I wondered at the ability of an author to produce a good piece of literature based on that. Sound depressing? I thought so too!

However, the other night as I read, I admit my reluctance to put the book down. Every adventure the father and son go through will keep a reader intrigued. I also admit that after what I just read, I am more determined then ever to keep my food storage current - it may come in handy someday.

Last night I had the opportunity to discuss my thoughts and impressions about this book with Muppet. Unfortunately we were interrupted and didn't get to continue the discussion. I'll have to share my blog address with him. I'm sure I'll have more to add when I finish the book.

P.S. The author is Irish. I like the book even better just knowing that. Not that I'm biased :)

1 comment:

Joni Wiedrich said...

I think the no chapters, names, or punctuation would make this book kind of annoying to read. Since I get interrupted frequently when I read, I'm not sure it would work out well. But if you end up loving it when you are done, I'll give it a go. But it totally sounds like a book Henry would like...sounds a little like The Stand by Stephen King.