Saturday, June 14, 2008

Demon in the Freezer by Richard Preston


This is a nonfiction work recommended by my good friend 'Britches'. It is a nonfiction thriller about smallpox and other deadly diseases. Britches paced the floor as she read it. I found myself riding a stationary bike at the gym last week as I read. Two days later, I had a nightmare about an extremely hairy baby who was staying at my house and ended up with smallpox. It was truly a nightmare as I had sat on the floor and tickled his feet before I knew about his disease. Thanks to that, I haven't picked up the book since!

My opinion so far is this: the topic is scary and interesting. I skim over some of the historical detail. I don't like thinking about the smallpox virus (among others) sitting in a freezer somewhere; I know the point is to create a vaccine...but it still freaks me out.

The book details a new brand of smallpox that terrorists are concocting to wipe out hordes of the human population. Are we in the Twilight Zone or what??

As with The Road, I'm not far enough along to tell much more than that. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Joni Wiedrich said...

Okay, you should totally have a separate blog dedicated to all of your weird and crazy dreams!!