Monday, June 23, 2008

Confused Elephants

It is done. YesterdayI finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I gave a fairly harsh review when I was in the midst of reading. It's hard for me to decide what rating to give this book. I think I'll go with this:



I gave it two and a half elephants. The half is the top half because it would've been a full elephant if not for the two things previously mentioned that I did not like about the book.

The book is about a man who used to be part of a circus. It starts with him as an old man and constantly switches between him now and the story of him as a young man. It's not a romance but the story line does include a romance.

The story is excellent! The author does a nice job of seamlessly switching from past to present, present to past. She also assumes the reader is smart enough to know what is happening without actually telling you. I appreciate a writer assuming my intelligence is high :)

I also liked how the prologue and the end match...yet the extra details given at the end make so much clear. My final opinion is I liked the story but I hesitate to recommend it if you are easily offended by language and sexual content; I very much disliked that the author felt those were necessary to include in her book. It would not have affected the story line in any way if it had been left out. If you can get past those two (major) flaws, it's a good read!

No comments: